Especially when one realizes that, much as with knitting, it gets faster when one practices. Last night I took advantage of a sunny evening and an empty flat to cut out a very basic smock-type t-tunic for the husband. Wide neck, square shoulders, and a plan of leaving the lower part with a split 'skirt' so he can move. I finished sewing both shoulder seams in about an hour and a half, which is quite good for me. Especially using black thread on almost black fabric! I'm hoping to finish it and my chemise this weekend, assuming the light is good enough and I don't get cramp.
In knitting and crocheting news, I have resolved to work primarily on the rippled bedspread this month. Mainly so that I can be rid of all that yarn! And of course, to acquire a new blanket thing just in time for summer... I'm also working on a summer tank top which is designed to use up all my DK-weight cotton. Conveniently, there should be just enough yarn to make the top and not have much in the way of leftovers. Whatever is left can be turned into a dishcloth.
I really wish I lived somewhere with enough space to have the ironing board set up all the time. The biggest hindrance to my sewing right now it needing to constantly press a seam or two, but never two seams close enough together to make it worth keeping the board out. My living room is just not that big, and the drying racks take up most of the space!