Tuesday 11 March 2008

How Annoying!

I got lots done on my socks yesterday. The main part is done, I just need to knit the toes. As I suspected, I'm running perilously low on yarn. This means I have to go back and forth between the socks, so that I don't end up with uneven amounts of toe on either, which means that I have to have both socks and plenty of time to swap the needles between the two socks. Because I only have 1 set of the right sized needles. Basically, not an ideal lunchtime project, just like the rest of my current knitting.

So of course, I had to cast on for something new! Not another pair of socks, because, well, my sock needles are in use right now. No, I decided to get on with another of my Mission:Possible projects - the 50g of Farmyarns Alpaca that I bought last summer. Originally I'd planned to make a pair of wristwarmers out of it, so I wound it into two more-or-less equal balls. Then I decided I really didn't need a third pair of wristwarmers. So, the yarn is becoming a neckwarmer. I'm holding the yarn doubled and working on on US 3s, so the fabric is quite firm. But oh, it's so soft! I'm working in 5-row strips of stockinette and reverse stockinette, so it'll produce a ribbed effect without having to work ribbing. Or in fact purling much at all! I'm utterly in love with it - the fabric is really thick and warm and soft, and the pattern is attractive without being busy. I'm really looking forward to wearing it! Hopefully it'll go quickly, especially once I finish the socks and I'm not thinking about something else.

No comments: