Wednesday 11 June 2008

Lack of blog fodder

The real trouble with spending so much time sewing rather than knitting is that it really isn't all that interesting to blog about. Until I get myself a much better camera, I'm really not going to do that much more photography simply because taking pictures is such a hassle. And really, a pile of fabric just keeps looking like a pile of fabric until it's done and turned into a garment. And even then it only looks like something once it's being modelled.

One good thing about it is that it's giving me lots of time to think about what I want to work on next. And in fact, to think about needlework in general. I resent having my knitting and sewing time taken up by things that aren't knitting or sewing. So, I've been thinking a lot about organizing my supplies. Not my stash - that's pretty much as organized as it's going to get until I've reduced it more. No, I mean things like my tools, books and accessories.

My crochet hooks have their own case, and so does the set of bamboo straights that my lovely grandmother got me for Christmas a couple of years ago. I'd like to have a second case for hooks because the one I have now doesn't have spaces big enough for my jumbo hooks. I'd also like to have a case for all of my other straights that will keep them sorted and safer than the vase on my table. I've got fabric to make a roll-up case for my DPNs, but just haven't had the time or energy to figure out exactly what I want to do with it. My sewing needles live in a beautiful embroidered needlecase made by my mother, so they are fine where they are.

Something else I've been meaning to do is sort out some jars for all of my little oddments, like stitchmarkers and beads. I'd love to make embroidered jar toppers, but then I'd have to figure out how to attach them.

It's all so frustrating - there are many, many things that I want to do, and I just don't have enough time!

No comments: