Thursday 7 August 2008

Ravelympics and the Yarn Harlot

The plan was to make the Ivy League Vest to wear to meet the Yarn Harlot, just because I have this thing about wearing my handknits whenever I go somewhere knitting-related. Then my best friend gave me enough cotton for a tank top, and I thought that a tank top would be quicker, so I'd do that instead. Then I discovered that I didn't have any needles that would give me the correct gauge for the top. Back to the drawing board.

Then I was looking over my WIPs, and was pondering the possibility of WIP Wrestling in addition to my Sock Putt entry. You see, I could wear my Swallowtail Shawl to meet the Yarn Harlot. And that would mean that I wouldn't have to race to finish an entire sweater of some description between now and the first weekend of September. I was looking at the shawl last night and discovered that I've actually completed 10 of the 14 repeats of the main chart, and they are going quite quickly now that I've got the pattern memorized and the centre stitch marked. Then it's just the charts with the beads to finish, and a bit of edging. I think it's doable. Plus I really, really want to finish the Monkey socks I've got on the go at the minute. I'm halfway through the heel flap of the second sock, and they are going to be SO COMFY!

So, I've now signed up to attempt all three projects for the Ravelympics - my original Pomatomus Socks, the Swallowtail Shawl, and the Monkey Socks. I can wear 2 of the 3 to iKnit Day to meet Ms Pearl-McPhee. And it will be good. Fortunately, tomorrow night (the first big session for me of Olympic knitting) my spouse is going to be spending the evening at a beer festival. I will have the flat to myself, and can knit away to my heart's content. Or discontent, depending on how well my chart-reading goes.

There is only one question left to be answered. Which project will I work on first?

No comments: