Monday 7 April 2008

I spoke too soon

That thing about my neckwarmer being done just in time for spring? I woke up the next day to find 2 inches of snow on the ground. Yes, London is having yet another cold snap. Today I wrapped up warm in my red hat and scarf. It's so nice being a knitter in winter!

I'm feeling very smug and productive, for I finally got around to handwashing my high-maintenence handknit socks. Of course, I'm not wearing any of them today, but they are clean and smelling deliciously of Victoria's Secret delicates wash. Mmmmmmm.

And speaking of socks, I spent my weekend knitting on Pom number 1! This pattern is a marvel of mathematical genius. I think I may be falling in love with the designer. She is brilliant. Normally ribbing goes up-and-down in columns. On this sock the ribbing bends in graceful curves that form patterns like fish scales (hence the name Pomatomus), and the increases and decreases make stunning patterns... I love, love, love this pattern! I've finished the first repeat and half of the second on the cuff, and I've decided to only do two repeats.They are 22 rows long, after all! I'm not going to do it for this pair of socks, but I'm seriously considering recharting the pattern so that each sock's curves can be a mirror-image of the other. But I'm not foolish enough to do that until I really understand how the curves work. And until I figure out what decrease is the reverse of a "knit 2 together through the back loop".

Today I'm not going to be working on my lovely Pom, sadly. Tonight is the night of knitting in the pub, and dark, very fine yarn in a poorly-lit pub is a surefire recipe for headaches and a stiff neck. So, tonight (and over lunch) I will be working on the green and yellow mitts. I've just about figured out what I want to do with the pattern, so hopefully they will be finished up quickly.

No comments: