Thursday 17 April 2008

Belated Birthday Books

The Amazon parcel with the late gift certificate books arrived yesterday, and what great books! I blew my lunch hour reading, unsurprisingly, and then spent most of the evening looking at them too!
The first book was Knitting Without Tears by Elizabeth Zimmerman, that great goddess of knit. And the book is fabulous. I suspect that once I get well and truly sucked into sweater knitting (and once I can afford to buy sweater quantities of yarn more than once a year), this book will become my bible. She's very good at encouraging the knitter to make things that fit and suit, rather than blindly following patterns all the time. An excellent philosophy.

The second was about as far from EZ as you can get - Son of Stitch n' Bitch! The 4th book in this series (I think), the whole book is full of patterns for blokes. It's also got a great section in the front on how to find out what the bloke will actually wear that's full of useful tips. Some of the stuff I can't imagine anyone actually wearing, like some of the weirder "post-modern" sweaters, but many of the patterns rock. Like the illusion knit scarf that secretly contains two silhouettes of ladies pole-dancing, or the socks with dice on the cuffs!

No comments: