Friday 1 July 2011

Inching along.

A couple of weeks ago I finally got around to casting on with some Kauni yarn I bought a very long time ago. It was originally purchased to experiment with, because I thought I might like to use it for a sweater. I'm glad I only bought the one ball, because it's Icelandic wool - just like the slippers that brought me out in hives! So far it's just feeling a wee bit itchy. I'm hopeful that I'll be able to wear it, since unlike felted slippers I don't make a habit of rubbing shawls into my skin as hard as possible.

I thought I was nearly done a few days ago. This shawl uses a funky Shetland construction with a knitted-on border, and I finished everything but that on Tuesday. A couple of evenings should have seen me finishing, or so I thought. Turns out that knitted-on borders are really slow. I'm averaging about three-and-a-half repeats an hour, fewer if I'm also watching tv. There are 31 repeats to finish the shawl. Yeah. Talk about underestimating remaining work! Once the border's done I've just got a quick bind-off across the top to finish it. I'm hoping that it'll be blocking on Monday morning, if not sooner.

No comments: