Friday 17 April 2015

Further sock mathery

Actual gauge with this needle/yarn combo is 4 stitches per inch, not 5. If this were a regular pair of socks I'd rip it out and cast on again, but since these are thigh-highs I can just pull them farther up the leg until they fit properly.

By the time I get to the bottom of the calf muscle I need to be down to 28 stitches. The length from thigh to calf is 16 inches. Decreasing 52 stitches over 16 inches means I need to decrease three stitches every inch plus 4 stitches somewhere.

Vertical gauge is 6 rounds per inch. So basically I need to decrease one stitch every other round. However, I've already knit an inch of the sock plain. (I'm not doing ribbing at the top because I'll be wearing garters and the top of the socks will be fastened under my trousers anyway.) I also want to do the four extra decreases towards the top of the leg because that's where the sharpest decreases in the shape of my leg happen. Something resembling Real Knitting Instructions:

  • Cast on 80 stitches. Distribute onto four needles and join for knitting in the round, being careful not to twist.
  • Knit six rounds plain.
  • Decrease one stitch every round for 14 rounds in a column at the back of the leg. 66 stitches remain. Redistribute stitches evenly across needles.
  • Starting with a plain row, decrease one stitch every other round in the same column until 28 stitches remain. Redistribute stitches evenly as necessary.
  • Knit plain until you reach the ankle bone.

Further instructions will follow once I decide what sort of heel I'm doing.




No comments: