Friday 6 May 2011

Holy Anniversary, Batman!

I'll confess I don't remember the exact date, but I've just been reminded that I've been knitting for ten years. Good grief! It certainly doesn't feel like that long. I can't imagine not being a Knitter nowadays, to be honest. How would I watch television? How would I not go nuts queueing? What would I wear on my feet?

My Ravelry page tells me quite categorically that I am a socks-and-scarves knitter who dabbles in lace shawls occasionally. I'm content with that. I wear everything I knit! (Well, obviously I don't wear afghans, but I do use them.) I'm also getting to the point where my handknit socks have outbred my bought socks - I've thrown out pairs of bought socks and not had to replace them, so I think the current batch may be the end of the line.

And here's a blast from the past:

My very first knitting project! A garter stitch scarf, of course, knit from some sort of tweedy acrylic/wool blend from the market knit on needles several sizes too small. Density ranges from practically lace to bulletproof, with width changes to match. There are dropped stitches, accidental yarnovers, bizarre decreases - basically every newbie mistake imaginable. But you know what? I love it. Ugly Scarf paved the way for a lifelong love affair, if you'll forgive the cliche. I'd never have dreamed that this monstrosity would turn into cobweb wedding shawls and a class on Rovaniemi mittens. And a spinning wheel. And a living room that smells of sheep.

No comments: