Thursday, 25 October 2007

You Weak-Minded Fool

I was feeling miserable on Tuesday night, so I cast on for a new project with my Posh yarn. A scribble scarf using the Loopy pattern from Knitty. It's very pretty, kinda hippy-ish, and fiddly as hell. On the rows that are the boucle in between the laceweight, you have to really tug on the finished work to get it to lie flat, and of course then you have to worry about breaking the laceweight! Argggh! Very much not the mindless stockinette scarf I was hoping for to cheer me up.

So, after giving the scarf a good few rows of my attention, I picked the stocking up again. This foot is taking forever. Last time I did the entire foot over the course of two evenings, but this time it's dragging on and on. I'm hoping to get the decreases started tonight and the whole thing finished, photographed and mailed by Saturday, but who knows? As long as I get it sent off by the end of the month, I'll be happy. And then I can devote myself wholeheartedly to Dr Who and some fun knitting for me!

I think there's a lot to be said about generally only knitting for oneself. I tend to get very into figuring out what people would like, and I'd rather get them something I know they'll like from the shop than waste hours and yarn on something they'll only wear out of politeness. Plus, when you're knitting for yourself, you know that the colours and patterns are something you'll like, you can shape it to fit you, you don't feel like you have to finish by a deadline. I'm discovering that I really hate knitting to a deadline. It makes me want to knit anything but my deadline projects.

No comments: