Monday, 24 September 2007

Lovely, lovely colourwork

I had the Saturday from hell, so I decided to soothe myself with "Christmas in Tallinn", a stocking pattern from Knitting on the Road by Nancy Bush. Suddenly all the hype makes sense - the little braids on the cuff, the perfection of the pattern, the addictiveness of the project. I want to work these little braids into everything I knit. They are so clever, so good-looking, so simple when you think about it. I am in a good mood just thinking about these little braids.

Plus I took advantage of the great instructions in the book to teach myself the double-start cast on. And I love that too! It makes such a pretty edge on the stocking in contrasting green.

In fact, I love this pattern so much that I am tempted to make stocking number two in the same pattern but swap the colours around - red as the detail, green as the main. They'd match, I'd get to make more of the groovy little braids, it's all good. Although learning how to do the slip-stitch stuff on the other intended pattern would be good for me. Maybe I could change the cuff to have these little braids...

In other news, I'm nearly done with the fluffy scarf. It's taken a lot longer than the other one I made, mostly because I've only been doing a row here and there when I'm not working on anything else. But tomorrow night there is a meeting in the pub, so I'll get a good hour's knitting in at least, and hopefully finish it. And I did another entire stripe on Dr Who, after finishing the big beige one! Yay! I was planning to do more on that, but the lure of the stocking was too much. I had to succumb.

Guess what I'm doing this evening?

No comments: